31.3.09

Delegate To Them The Duty Of Watching



Juliette Drouet to Victor Hugo

- Sometime in 1835 -

If only I were a clever woman, I could describe to you, my gorgeous bird, how you unite in yourself the beauties of form, plumage, and song!

I would tell you that you are the greatest marvel of all ages, and I should only be speaking the simple truth. But to put all this into suitable words, my superb one, I should require a voice far more harmonious than that which is bestowed upon my species - for I am the humble owl that you mocked at only lately, therefore, it cannot be.

I will not tell you to what degree you are dazzling and to the birds of sweet song who, as you know, are none the less beautiful and appreciative.

I am content to delegate to them the duty of watching, listening and admiring, while to myself I reserve the right of loving; this may be less attractive to the ear, but it is sweeter far to the heart.

I love you, I love you. my Victor; I can not reiterate it too often; I can never express it as much as I feel it.

I recognize you in all the beauty that surrounds me: in form, in colour, in perfume, in harmonious sound. All of these mean you to me. You are superior to all I see and admire - you are all!

You are not only the solar spectrum with the seven luminous colours, but the sun himself, that illumines, warms, and revives! This is what you are, and I am the lowly woman that adores you.

~Juliette

(Drouet, a French actress, wrote passionate and lyrical love letters to Hugo for over 50 years.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails